Friday, July 02, 2010
Karela Ghosh (Lamb with Bittergourd)
1 Kg Mutton (lamb) cut into bite size pcs ( I used boneless meat)
4-5 (approx 500-600 gms)Karela (bittergourd) cut into thin rounds, remove the seeds.
5 big onions (thinly sliced)
3 big tomatoes (roughly chopped)
3-4 green chillies (whole)
1 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp amchur (dry mango powder)
3 black cardamoms
2 pcs of 1/2 inch cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp Salt
Preparation Method :
1. In a bowl add 1 tsp salt , add the karela thin slices & leave it over night as it
will remove the bitterness from the gourd. Squeeze out the water from karela.
2. Take a frying pan, add 5-6 tbsp of oil, once the pan is hot fry the karela till it
is crisp & dark golden brown in colour. Keep it aside.
3. Pressure cook the mutton with 1 tsp of salt and 1 cup of water till it is tender.
4. In a pot take 5-6 tbsp of oil, once hot add the thinly sliced onions, fry well
till it turns dark brown, now add the chopped ginger and garlic, fry for another 2
minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till it is very mushy & leaves oil.
5. Add the spice powders, fry for another minute.
6. Add the boiled mutton with water stock. Add the whole green chillies. Close the
lid and leave it on slow flame for 5 minutes.
7. Check and adjust the salt. Put off the flame.
8. Add the fried karela, mix it well.
Serve it with roti, chappati or naan.