Saturday, August 22, 2015

Canara Restaurant, Dubai, UAE- for Awesome Mangalorean Food




A lot was told to me about this Manglorean rather Canara restaurant and highly recommended too. During my trip to Dubai and on the last day out, a dozen of us made it for lunch. Some of our friends were already seated prior to our arrival but let me assure you that you will have to wait some time as the place was full and noisy with Manglorean and Goan diners. Lot of clattering of dishes going on with people jabbering away to glory. This is simple place with no décor to boast off but the food makes up for everything you don’t need.
Food was already ordered and for starters there were the Crispy Rawa fried Kaane / Mudoshiyo or Lady Fish, some rawa fried prawns, Kubey Mutli which is a Manglorean speciality. The sorpotel came in earlier than expected and was generously dumped by me with the starters…. I didn’t care cos I just loved the sorpotel. We had some paanpoleys / neer dosas again a Manglaorean speciality to go with the above. Stop drooling.


Everything we ate was good. Although the fish was coated with a thick layer of rawa, it was fresh, huge, soft and fleshy. The prawns were pretty good sized and delicious. The Kubey Mutli looked good and had all the goodness I have had before but it is not my favourite, but everyone was raving about it so I guess it was pretty good. I don’t fancy most Manglorean dishes but I can tell you that they are equally good as we are mixed breed family of Goans & Mangloreans. My favourite was the sorpotel which was expected but it was a Manglorean style sorpotel which simply means that it did not have the sourness which identifies Goan sorpotel and which I adore. However this was for me again the star dish and I dunked it in with some neer dosas.





For our main course we had the Prawn  and bhenda curry  and some hot plain rice to go with it. We also ordered fried Lepos/Sole fish and some Kingfish Masala.  The prawns curry was a bit too creamy but excellent however the bhendas were a bit oldish and had a thready texture, however the curry went well with the rice. The fried lepos were excellent too. The Kingfish masala was ok. Not too exciting or probably had lost its zing from the fact that we had eaten such wonderful food earlier.




During my wife’s previous visit, she had the opportunity to try the Sannas, Pothrade, Channa Sukka , Anchovy Chutney, Bombil fry and Bangda Puli Munchi which were all super. It was a takeout service so some pictures were available of those dishes.






A great place to dine and for all those special Mangalorean delicacies.

No comments: