Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Aloo Nilgiri


I had some palak (spinach) lying in my fridge for couple of days and didn’t know what to do with it. I like to eat it plain with potatoes, my husband likes it with dal and my daughter (Sabrina) wanted it with paneer. I really didn’t know how to fulfill everyone’s taste buds. Wanted to make something different so decided to make Aloo Nilgiri (Diced Potatoes in Spinach Sauce). Sabrina says Mama its awesome and she relished it some plain rice. She orders me to make this for Easter Pound Party.

Here goes the recipe, try it and I’m sure you will love the tantalizing flavour of the Spinach. You can substitute Potatoes with chicken, mutton, fish and off course Paneer.


Ingredients to make Spinach Puree

2 big bunch Palak (Spinach)
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 green chillies
1” piece of ginger
1 cup of water

Boil the above all ingredients until palak is tender, cool it and then puree it in the blender and keep it Aside.



½ Kg Potatoes (boiled firm and diced as desired.)
2 big tomatoes (finely chopped)
3 medium onions (finely cubed)
3 green chillies chopped
2” piece of ginger chopped
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp heaped coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
4 Tbsp Oil
1 ½ tsp Salt


Put 4 tbsp oil in a non stick pan , once the oil is hot put the minced onion and the cumin seeds. Add the salt. Once the onions brown add the chopped chillies, ginger, tumeric, coriander powder and fry it well till the oil separates. Add the tomatoes and fry well again. Now add the Spinach puree stir well. Add the boiled diced potatoes and keep it on sim for 15 minutes. Check the salt and add if you need more. Serve it with Paratha or Naan. It is really Awesome…………

7 comments:

FH said...

Even the name Aloo Nilgiri is beautiful! You could send this ti JFI Potato to Vaishali.Looks great,I bet your family enjoyed and want more!:))

Viji said...

A nice side dish. The name is quite new. Viji

Viji said...

A nice side dish. The name is quite new. Viji

Anonymous said...

HI,

RECIPES ARE REALLY GOOD. KEEP IT UP AND THANKS.

Anonymous said...

nice dish. i made it, turned out good.
thanks

Sumitha said...

Hello where are you guys,waiting for more Chinese recipes which I love from your blog!

Sumitha said...

I tried this dish and we loved it!I think i shall make it with paneer the same way next time.Do come back with recipes!